Oh wow, I haven't used color pencils in a really, really, really long time. (I mean, traditional, non-watercolor pencils.) Before this particular drawing, the last time I uploaded something rendered in color pencils was back in 2011 (!!!).
Things I learned:
1. Sharpen your color pencils.
2. Don't feel bad about wasting the colors or such nonsense. Sharpen your color pencils.
3. Having a good sharpener is important.
4. Watercolor paper is really good for color pencils.
5. White color pencil is the best, most important color pencil.